- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 11-25-2017
Fluoride, does it make you stupid?
Several studies have brought to light that fluoride is toxic to the brain and can affect brain development. These studies have demonstrated that children living in areas of high fluoridation have lower IQ.
"Fluoride and children's intelligence: a meta-analysis," published in the journal Biological Trace Element Research estimated that the children in areas with high levels of fluoride exposure had 5 times higher odds of developing low IQ than those in non- or low fluoride areas. 1,2
A research study University College of Science, M.L. Sukhadia University, Udaipur, India, studied the mechanisms through which fluoride causes brain damage. They found fluoride causes neurodegenerative damage to the cells of the hippocampus and cerebral cortex. 3,4.
This study discovered that fluoride is toxic to the brain to the point of neurodegeneration. Fluoride will stimulate brain neurons, to the point of death. This process is called excitotoxicity.
Is your Brain Rancid?
The researchers then identified a second cause of fluoride toxicity: oxidative stress. Our brain is composed of 60 percent fat and they discovered that fluoride oxidizes the fat in your brain. This process is termed lipid peroxidation. Lipid peroxidation of your brain! To put more simply, fluoride causes your brain to become rancid! These process is neurodegeneration and destroys brain cells and decreases total brain phospholipid (fat) content. Time to rethink our use of fluoride!
2012 Harvard Research: Fluoride and IQ level
In 2012 Harvard School of Public Health teamed up with China Medical University and compared the IQ of children 8000 of children were exposed to elevated fluoride levels. Children exposed to fluoride had an average IQ score 7 points lower than those children not exposed to fluoride.
Harvard professor Philippe Grandjean explains, “Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain. The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.”
Obviously we need to minimize our exposure to fluoride and if you live in city that fluoridates it’s water we suggest that you purchase a water purification unit for the health of both yourself and your children. In future articles I will share with you which herbs can help to protect and restore the brain from the damaging effects of fluoride.
1. Fluoride and children's intelligence: a meta-analysis. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2008;126(1-3):115-20. Epub 2008 Aug 10. PMID: 18695947
2. Decreased intelligence in children and exposure to fluoride and arsenic in drinking water. Cad Saude Publica. 2007;23 Suppl 4:S579-87. PMID: 18038039
3. Bhatnagar M, Rao P, Saxena A, Bhatnagar R, Meena P, Barbar S. Biochemical changes in brain and other tissues of young adult female mice from fluoride in their drinking water. Fluoride. 2006;39:280–4. [Ref list]
4. Bhatnagar M, Sukhwal P, Suhalka P, Jain A, Joshi C, Sharma D. Effects of fluoride in drinking water on NADPH-diaphorase neurons in the forebrain of mice: A possible mechanism of fluoride neurotoxicity. Fluoride. 2011;44:195–9.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.